Each day we lose our water stores in service of bodily functions like breathing, sweating, temperature regulation and digestion. If we don't replenish that water with more fluid we get dehydrated. Being well hydrated increases our body's ability to eliminate toxins and reduces our desire for caffeine and sugary drinks. It may also help to prevent us from overeating. Water is free of calories, making it a healthy, diet-friendly way to increase hydration.
That being said, if you are anything like me, you get busy and forget to drink enough water. As inspiration for us dehydrated folks, I have come up with these tips to get us drinking more water.
10 Ways to Drink More Water
1. Get a designated reusable water bottle for each member of your family. That way your water bottle won't be missing (absconded by a child or partner) next time you're looking for it.
2. Fill up your water bottle each morning and again at lunchtime. Keep it with you always.
3. Drink a glass of water before each meal. You'll feel more full and reduce your desire to load up on unnecessary calories, while increasing your hydration levels at the same time.
4. Add fresh lemon juice to your water bottle. You'll get a bit of vitamin C, which is said to improve digestion and regulate your body's acidity.
5. Add sliced cucumber, strawberries, blueberries or any other fruits and veggies you enjoy to your reusable water bottle. You'll benefit from extra nutrients and flavour and alleviate boredom with "regular" water.
6. When you consume alcohol drink one glass of water for every alcoholic beverage. You'll drink less alcohol and stay better hydrated.
7. Keep a pitcher of water on the table for you and your family at meal times.
8. When dining at a restaurant, ask your server for a glass of water.
9. Set an hourly alarm on your phone or computer to remind you to drink water.
10. Ensure you have a steady supply of clean water in your home and office.
The Strauss WaterBar
Recently the lovely people at Strauss Water Canada invited me to attend an informative session held at the Canfitpro World Fitness Expo. I have written about the fabulous Strauss WaterBar here on the blog before. The Strauss WaterBar comes in an array of beautiful, stylish colours so it will look fantastic in your kitchen or office. But that's not the best part (although that's pretty great). The best feature of the StraussWaterBar, in my opinion, is that this multipurpose water dispenser hooks up to your main water line, so you get an unlimited supply of purified water. No more lugging home heavy, awkward water bottles! No more forgetting to buy water and forcing down chlorine-infused water straight from the tap!
The Strauss WaterBar serves up chilled, boiling or room temperature water, so you get water the way you want it, at the touch of a button. Most of us are fortunate to have safe municipal tap water in Canada. The downside is some of the infrastructure through which our water travels may be outdated. The Strauss WaterBar triple filters your tap water so it emerges chlorine- and 99% bacteria-free while still retaining essential minerals.
The Strauss WaterBar costs about $1 a day (you can rent your WaterBar or purchase it), which is not a lot to pay to have clean water always at the ready. Strauss Water Canada ships filters to you regularly so there's no worry about forgetting to change them. The unit is also eco-friendly - one WaterBar could mean hundreds less water bottles used each year. (And 4 million Canadian households use bottled water!) Tea drinkers like me will also appreciate that it's more energy-efficient (and faster!) than a kettle.
I believe that having a steady supply of clean water is essential to your health and feelings of wellbeing. After all, dehydration can lead to headaches, grumpiness and just generally very bad days. Take care of yourself my friends!
You can find out more about the Strauss WaterBar using the hashtag #StraussWaterBar on social media. Visit Strauss Water Canada on their website, on Facebook and on Twitter.
*This is a sponsored post. All opinions are authentic and my own. Thank you for supporting the awesome companies that partner with Woman in Real Life.