Nature's Path (one of my fave food companies) is celebrating a special anniversary - they have been family-owned and proudly Canadian for 30 years! In 1967, with just $7 in their pockets and a $1,500 loan, the Nature’s Path co-founders opened the country's first vegetarian restaurant. They started Nature’s Path out of the back of that restaurant in 1985.
I often use Nature's Path cereals in my recipes - just last night I made breaded tofu using the first product the company ever produced - Fruit Juice Sweetened Corn Flakes. In the spirit of spring/summer, I'm sharing one of Nature's Path's delicious recipes - Fiesta Veggie Burgers. Made with black beans, veggies and Nature’s Path Flax Plus Flakes, these little yummy patties are sure to be a hit at any family dinner, barbecue or potluck. (And read on for a Nature's Path giveaway!)
Fiesta Veggie Burgers with Flax Plus Flakes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Keywords: vegan vegetarian summer spring
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, divided
- 1/2 cup packed grated carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 can (19 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup vegetable juice pulp purée
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp egg replacer
- 1 cup Nature’s Path Flax Plus Flakes, finely crushed in food processor
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 Whole Grain buns
1. Heat 1 tbsp coconut oil in skillet set over medium heat.
2. Add carrot, onion, red pepper, garlic, chili powder, salt, cumin, oregano and pepper.
3. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
4. Cool completely.
5. Add vegetable mixture, 1 1/2 cups black beans, juice pulp and lime juice to food processor.
6. Sprinkle in egg replacer.
7. Pulse until combined.
8. Transfer to bowl.
9. Mix in remaining beans, flakes and cilantro until combined.
10. Divide the mixture into 4 1/2-cup portions.
11. Shape into 1-inch thick patties.
12. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
13. Line baking tray with parchment paper, set aside.
14. Heat remaining oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium heat.
15. Cook patties in batches for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until golden brown and heated through.
16. Place patties on prepared baking tray and bake for 5 to 8 minutes or until slightly firm and crusted.
17. Serve patties in buns with desired toppings.
Tip: For a true fiesta flare, top Veggie Burgers with Tex Mex condiments such as salsa, guacamole and pickled jalapenos.
Powered by Recipage
Nature’s Path 30th Anniversary Giveaway!
Nature's Path is giving one Woman in Real Life reader a fun prize pack including 3 limited edition 30th anniversary boxes of cereal and granola, 3 product vouchers, a 1-year subscription to Organic Life magazine, plus 2 additional free subscriptions for your family and friends (via on-pack promotion). Prize may not be exactly as shown. Contest is open to Canadian and US residents only. Enter using the rafflecopter below until June 17th.
Have you tried Nature's Path products before?